The next Forum will be:
- Peoples Movement Assemblies
- Working Groups
- Click here for our regular US Social Forum Newsletter!
World Social Forum 2013: Tunis
The World Social Forum will Meet in the city that began the Arab Revolutions March 26-30. More than 30 thousand people representing over 4500 organizations from 127 countries spanning the five continents have registered to attend.
News Coverage of the WSF
Declaration of the Social Movement Assembly. Click here for (Spanish version)
Click here for the Schedule of Events being organized by networks linked to the US Social Forum delegation.
Recommended Readings: Here's what delegates to the World Social Forum have been reading in preparation for their trip. Those who wish to get up to speed on the exciting work being done to make another world a reality will enjoy these.
WATCH LIVE from Tunis via Skype:
Grassroots Global Justice Alliance delegates will be documenting our experiences at the World Social Forum through this blog, please follow along!
US Activists continue discussions from the WSF Free Palestine at World Social Forum in Tunis
- Canadian Peoples Social Forum Gains Momentum More than 150 organizers turned out for a planning meeting for the 2014 social forum when just 50 were expected. A quarter of the delegates were First Nations leaders, and the Canadian Forum “gives equal importance to the role of Canadian, Quebecois and Indigenous Nations.” Expansion committees organizing in different cities and regions are helping build the Canadian Social Forum.
The WSF-Free Palestine
- Activists Show International Solidarity With Palestinians at World Forum
- Report from Quebec Delegation to WSF Free Palestine in Alternatives Journal
- World Social Forum Free Palestine Report Back-International Jewish Antizionist Network
- The World Social Forum-Free Palestine: An Alternative to State-Centered Narratives
- US-Canada Joint Delegation video from WSF-Free Palestine
- The World Social Forum-Free Palestine: An Alternative to State-Centered Narratives
- Radio interview-Sahar Francis, chair of Addameer, a Palestinian organization recently raided by the Israeli army
- International Women's Peace Service at WSF-Free Palestine
- "Brazilian Youth Advocate for Peace in Palestine"
- "After Free Palestine Forum Brazil Prepares Mission to Help Palestinians Harvest Olives"
- "Report from Porto Alegre: Association des Universitaires pour le Respect du Droit International Palestine"
- "Letter from Brazil: 'The cause of humanity today is Palestine'"
- Tunisia Gears Up to Host World Social Forum
- Links between Occupy Wall Street and the U.S. and World Social Forum Process-- A Summary of Left Forum 2012 Workshops
Several workshops at the 2012 Left Forum addressed the connections between the Occupy Wall Street (OWS) movement and the World Social Forum process. Participants noted the importance of the energy, direct action-orientation, and wide popular appeal that has marked the OWS movement in its first few months. The emergence of new fronts of struggle around the world raises new challenges for the World Social Forums. As Michael Leon Guerrero points out, we need to consider what the appropriate vehicle is for advancing our movements in this current moment. The key challenge for organizers seems to be helping people see the connections between global structures and processes and local experiences. But perhaps more difficult is the task of finding ways to encourage meaningful grassroots organizing and activism that can target these global forces. While the large-scale convergences advanced in the WSF may have helped nurture global identities and political imaginations in the past, in the U.S. and elsewhere they’ve not been able to respond quickly to openings created by grassroots mobilizations like those in Madison in the fall of 2010, the Arab Spring last winter, and now in OWS. Moreover, there seems to be rather limited progress made in developing cross-sectoral connections through the USSF process thus far.
- Read More... (.pdf)
- The program includes analyses and resports on key issues such as the impacts of the revolutions in North Africa, the formation of a worldwide movement for climate justice and against land grabbing. It also looks back to the origins of the Forum, to its current challenges and future perspectives.
- Guests include: Samir Amin (Third World Forum, Dakar), Nnimmo Bassey (Chair of Friends of the Earth International, Nigeria, and winner of the "Right Livelihood Award"), Nicola Bullard (Focus on the Global South, Bangkok), Susan George (Transnational Institute/Attac France), Wangui Mbatia (People's Parliament, Nairobi), Pat Mooney (ETC Group, Canada, winner of the "Right Livelihood Awards"), Jai Sen (CACIM, New Delhi), Immanuel Wallerstein (Yale University, USA), Chico Whitacker (one of the founders of the WSF, Sao Paulo, and winner of the "Right Livelihood Award"), and many others.
- The World Social Forum meets in Dakar, Senegal 6-11 February
The 2011 Dakar World Social Forum will gather participants and organizations from 123 countries and also from Palestine and Kurdistan. WSF organizers estimate that 70 thousand people have participated in this year's Forum.
Reports from the World Social Forum in Dakar
- Climate Justice Action at WSF Movements and organizations working for climate justice prepare for the 17th Convention of the Parties of the Climate Convention in Durban later this year. Their challenge? To DEMOCRATIZE CLIMATE NEGOTIATIONS!
- "Many Protests One Revolution" Jackie Smith sees protests in Egypt and the World Social Forum as part of a single movement with some shared characteristics of leadership, networking strategies, commitments to nonviolence, and desire to change the underlying structures of the world economic system.
USSF Delegations to the World Social Forum
- Detroit to Dakar Blog
- Detroit to Dakar Delegation
- Grassroots Global Justice Alliance blog
- Eastern Michigan Environmental Action Coalition (EMEAC)
- Poverty Working Group & Twitter feed
- Meet the Tech Activists from May First/People Link The folks who made the USSF web site and communications technology run so smoothly in Detroit this past summer have been working tirelessly to bring some of what they've learned to technology/communications activists in Africa.
- March 1-- Detroit's delegation to Dakar reports on what they saw, did, learned.... Details TBA
- World Social Forum Virtual Media Center The World Social Forum in Dakar
- * WSF TV: Online video of WSF workshops, interviews with participants, and more!
The World Assembly of Migrants met in advance of the WSF to create a World Charter of Migrants. Find out about people's struggles to improve the lives of migrants around the world.
* LIVE Web Streaming & Online Discussion
- Tuesday, February 8' 7:00 PM Eastern US time-- Report from U.S. Detroit-to Dakar Delegation
- Thursday, February 10, 7:00 PM Eastern US time IndyMedia Center-Convergence House Discussion
- IndyMedia Center activists (from IMC Africa) have been working with MayFirst/People Link and IndyMedia activists from other parts of the world to organize and maintain a Convergence Center -- a house in Dakar where over 50 media makers and activists from more than a dozen countries of Africa are living, meeting, working and training together. Media activists who have helped report on the WSF will report to the rest of the world on their experiences, impressions of the Forum and the potential and challenges of media and information transmission they have encountered there.
- June 30: Organizing 2.0 Conference: The US Social Forum Vs. Netroots Nation
- June 30: LaborNotes: U.S. Social Forum Takes Detroit by Storm
- June 30: MetroTimes: Scenes from the social forum. But what did it accomplish?
- June 30: Nowtopian: The US Social Forum in Detroit
- June 30: Building the People's World Movement for Mother Earth: The US Social Forum demanding to incorporate at negotiations process the proposal the World People´s Conference on Climate Change at negotiations on climate change
- June 29: Black Youth Project: My U.S. Social Forum Impression
- June 29: Examiner Going Horizontal at the U.S. Social Forum
- June 28: AFL-CIO Social Forum Focuses on Workers’ Issues
- June 28: Press Release: Second U.S. Social Forum Opens New Chapter in US Movements for Justice, Equality and Sustainability
- June 26: MetroTimes Blog: USSF: Winding down
- June 26: Truthout: USSF: The Control of Public Media as a Social Justice Issue
- June 26: DetroitYES!: Detroit Incinerator Protest March (pics)
- June 26: The Grand Rapids Institute for Information Democracy (GRIID):
- June 26: The Grand Rapids Institute for Information Democracy (GRIID): resistance-in-retail-workshop-shares-how-retailers-sell-workers-short
- June 26: Photos tweeted from Leftist Lounge USSF party: go right to see earlier ones
- June 25: Equality Across America: And as we scream from the top of our lungs, another U.S. is HAPPENING.
- June 25: Metro Times blog: USSF: Organic growth
- June 25: Terraviva: A Reform Movement by and for Undocumented People
- June 25: Narcosphere: Indigenous Peoples at US Social Forum: Halting the Legacy of Genocide
- June 25: Weekly Mulch: As risks for oil and gas grow, USSF offers change
- June 25: The Grand Rapids Institute for Information Democracy (GRIID): grassroots-campaign-targets-chase-bank
- June 25: The Grand Rapids Institute for Information Democracy (GRIID): esisting-racism-in-arizona-through-media
- June 24: The Grand Rapids Institute for Information Democracy (GRIID): palestine-solidarity-past-present-and-future
- June 24: The Grand Rapids Institute for Information Democracy (GRIID): getting-your-story-straight
- June 24: The Grand Rapids Institute for Information Democracy (GRIID): direct-action-strategies-for-climate-justice-community-resilience
- June 24: The Grand Rapids Institute for Information Democracy (GRIID): ussf-addresses-womens-issues
- June 24: The Grand Rapids Institute for Information Democracy (GRIID): other-worlds-are-possible
- June 23: Metrotimes.com USSF: The kids are alright
- June 23: Activism News: US Social Forum cancels exploitative Zionist workshop
- June 23: When not in Africa: reporting from "ground zero" (live blogging US Social Forum #USSF)
- June 23: The Grand Rapids Institute for Information Democracy (GRIID): allies-organizing-themselves-against-gentrification
- June 23: The Grand Rapids Institute for Information Democracy (GRIID): the-true-cost-of-coal-–-a-beehive-collective-work
- June 23: The Grand Rapids Institute for Information Democracy (GRIID): anti-imperialism-is-green
- June 23: The Grand Rapids Institute for Information Democracy (GRIID): housands-celebrate-us-social-forum-in-the-streets-of-detroit
- June 22: Area Chicago: Detroit Coalition Against Police Brutality workshop
- June 22: FreePeltierNow: Leonard Peltier at the USSF
- June 22: AREA Chicago: Detroit Coalition Against Police Brutality workshop
- June 22: Jewschool.com Zionists at the social forum
- June 22: Opednews.com US Social Forum: Fighting Wage Theft
- June 22: Detroitnews.com U.S. Social Forum activists march in Detroit
- June 22: GRIID: Thousands Celebrate US Social Forum in the Streets of Detroit
- June 22: The Grand Rapids Institute for Information Democracy (GRIID): reporting-from-the-us-social-forum
- June 22: Freespeech.org: Green Detroit: Why The City Is Ground Zero For The Sustainability Movement by Ron Williams
- June 22: Truthout: Another Detroit is Happening, But Which One do We Need? By Paul Abowd
- June 22: Inter Press Service Finding Lessons of Solidarity in Auto Industry Shake-Up By Bankole Thompson and Mitch Moxley
- June 22: Metrotimes.com U.S. Social Forum, Opening Protest
- June 22: MetroTimes Blog: USSF: ‘Sexy riot suits’ at the march
- June 22: Press Release USSF 2010 Opens in Detroit
- June 21: Yes! Magazine: Detroit’s Renewal: Can It Inspire the Social Forum?
- June 21: Sustainable Thoughts: the Revolution Begin...in Detroit?
- June 21: Huffington Post: Detroit: A Model of Renewal for the U.S. Social Forum?
- June 21: Karmalised.com: IJDH and BAI attend the U.S. Social Forum in Detroit (June 22-26)
- June 21: Feminist Peace Network: Gender Justice Activism And (Much) More At The U.S. Social Forum
- June 21: World March of Women 2010: The WMW at the US Social Forum
- June 21: ProgressMichigan.org USSF2010 in Detroit this week & Julian Assange!
- June 21: Institute for Anarchist Studies: Anti-Authoritarian Convergence at the 2010 U.S. Social Forum
- June 21: Courage to Resist: GI Resistance at the US Social Forum
- June 21: Peace is Possible: Disability Justice
- June 20: SWOPblogger: People's Freedom Caravan Protests Peabody Coal
- June 20: The Global Realm: Finding Lessons of Solidarity in Auto Industry Shake-Up
- June 20: Fox2now.com: Protest Against Giant Coal Company In St. Louis
- June 20: DistortedSoul.com DETROIT! Funky Fireworks & USSF: Nadir Rocks The Riverfront This Week
- June 20: Detroit Free Press: Activist stands ready to be part of big movement
- June 19: Food and Faith: Land (US Social Forum Road Trip)
- June 19: truthout: Another Detroit is Happening. But which one do we need?
- June 19: Earthcycles and Censored News:Broadcasting Live Online from US Social Forum: Focus on Indigenous Issues
- June 19: Detroit News: Thousands Expected at Social Forum in Detroit
- June 19: Post-Tribune: Gary Youth Prepares for Social Forum
- June 19: The Michigan Citizen: U.S. Social Forum Hits Detroit
- June 18: PPJG Gazette: Move to Amend: Detroit meeting expects more than 10,000
- June 18: Detroit Diary: Quiet Riot-The US Social Forum Comes to Detroit
- June 18: Anarkismo.net: Common Action Statement on the USSF
- June 18: Democracy Now!: Allied Media Conference Opens Ahead of US Social Forum in Detroit
- June 18: The Marc Steiner Show: Live from Detroit: Special Coverage of the U.S. Social Forum
- June 18: Democracy Now! Allied Media Conference Opens Ahead of US Social Forum in Detroit
- June 18: OpEd News: U.S. Social Forum: Investigative Journalism and Its Value to Movements
- June 18: Michigan Citizen: The U.S. Social Forum Hits Detroit
- June 17: Truth out: US Social Forum To Target Long-Term Progressive Goals
- June 17: Conducive Chronicle:Connecting and Growing the Grassroots: US Social Forum 2010
- June 17: Distorted Soul: Open Letter: US Social Forum-WDIV Got It WRONG
- June 17: Voxy.co.nz: Jewish Challenges To Zionism Grow in the US
- June 17: Distorted Soul: Artists Release Multimedia Compilation to Support USSF 2010
- June 16: MR Zine: Arab Queers Say NO to Pinkwashing at the USSF
- June 16: The TIME Magazine Detroit Blog: Q&A: Adele Nieves on the US Social Forum
- June 16: Solvision: Activists Will Take Case of the Cuban Five to the US Social Forum
- June 16: Realdetroitweekly.com U.S. Social Forum: Detroit 2010 The Ultimate Un-Conference Aim to Launch a National Movement in Motown
- June 16: War Resisters Leauge email
- June 15: The Defenders Online Progressives Converge upon Detroit
- June 15: Free Speech TV Blog: Social Forum's Roots a Reaction Against Globalization
- June 15: Feministing.com Following Gender Justice to the US Social Forum
- June 15: OpEdNews.com U.S. Social Forum: Storytelling for Real and Lasting Change in America
- June 15: WZZM13.com Bicyclists Journey to Detroit
- June 15: The Defenders Online: Progressives Converge upon Detroit
- June 15: HavanaTimes.org Cuban 5 Case at Detroit Social Forum
- June 15: The Weave Technology Pushing the USSF Forward
- June 15: GRIID: Grassrootes Caravan creates community on its way to the US Social Forum
- June 15: Model D: What the USSF, AMC, CS is going on? Detroit, get ready for Social Forum, Allied Media events
- June 15: Quirky Black Girls: More Detroit Disability Justice Happenings
- June 14: US Campaign for the Academic & Cultural Boycott of Israel: Jewish challenges to Zionism on the rise in the US
- June 14: Revolution By the Book: A New World From Below: An Anarchist and Anti-Authoritarian Convergence at the 2010 U.S. Social Forum
- June 14: Healing Garden Journal Another World Is Possible, Another World Is Necessary:US Social Forum
- June 13: White Center Blog: An Inspiring Night at Sea YA’s White Center Open-Mic
- June 12: Crip Chick: Disability Justice Convening in Detroit!
- June 11: The Green Fork: Road Tripping to the USSF with HEART
- June 11: Jobs with Justice blog: Kentucky Jobs with Justice is Taking 100 Activists to the USSF in Detroit!
- June 11: Seminário dez anos depois The UFPJ's Peace March Towards Detroit
- June 11: I Am Young Detroit: Allied Media Conference + US Social Forum + Hip Hop Congress = Transformative 2 Weeks
- June 10: Feministing: Events, Tents, and Assemblies: Promoting Gender Justice at the US Social Forum
- June 10: Freedom Caravan: Why We're Going to Detroit
- June 09: Censored News: Indigenous Peoples Assemby at the US Social Forum Detroit 2010
- June 09: Poor People's Economic Human Rights Campaign: Poor People's Economic Human Rights Campaign in Cleveland
- June 09: The Ruckus Society: Why Ruckus is going ALL IN to the Forum!
- June 09: Center for Media Justice: Media Justice and the USSF Movement Assembly Process
- June 09: Feministing: Countdown to the US Social Forum 2010: Another World is Possible
- June 8: Food Chain Workers: Join Us in Food Justice Canopy @ USSF!
- June 08: Escambray: US Social Forum to Examine LatAm Migration
- June 08: Notions of Identity: US Social Forum: We Can Change our World
- June 07: transafrica forum: U.S. Social Forum and the Detroit to Dakar Initiative
- June 06: Future Hope: News Flash - Tens of Millions in USA Like Idea of “Socialism”
- June 06: Grand Rapid Anarchists on US Social Forum
- June 06: Ithaca Journal: Bikers plan 500-mile trip to social forum
- June 05: Arab American News: Sister of Local Flotilla Activist Urges Action at Vigil
- June 05: Morning Journal: Poverty Campaign marching through Lorain, Sandusky
- June 04: AFT FACE: Bringing Contingent Faculty Issues to the USSF
- June 04: Fusicology: 2nd Annual US Social Forum|5 Days|06/22 - 06/26
- June 04: American Renaissance.com: Abandon Detroit, Abandon Black America
- June 04: Feministing: Gender Justice and the USSF
- June 04: Democratic Underground; US Social Forum: Thousands Will Converge in Detroit to Promote Democracy, Diversity, and Justice
- June 03: El Central: Todos Somos Arizona: Thousands Head to Detroit Saying ‘NO’ to Exploitation and ‘YES’ to Immigrant Rights File:El Central article.pdf
- June 03: Philly Road to Detroit Blog
- June 03: Boston Herald: Slain Teen Led Hub Summer Job Rally
- June 03: Fist Youth: ‘Capitalism is killing us’, U.S. Social Forum meets in Detroit June 22-26
- June 03: ¡Alto Arizona!: Arizona Human Rights Summer Begins with 100,000 Person March
- June 03: St. Louis American: Another World is Possible
- June 03: Alliance For Democracy: AFD at the USSF
- June 03: A-Infos: (en) Grand Rapid Anarchists* on United States Social Forum in Detroit, Michigan
- June 03: Detroit Greens: USSF Countdown: 19 Days Away!
- June 02: Domestic Workers United: NYS Senate Passes Bill of Rights
- June 02: The Langar Hall: Another United States is Necessary-The USSF in Detroit this June
- June 02: Detroit Socialist Party: Socialist Party USA:USSF 2010
- June 02: Equality Across America: A conference so inspiring people are biking hundred of miles to get there?
- June 02: AtlantaPost.com Abandon Detroit, Abandon Black America
- June 01: Twin Cities Indymedia: Another World is Possible, Another US is Necessary: Social Forum Process Hits the Twin Cities
- May 31: GRIID: Grassroutes Caravan: Madtown to Motown, a global village of resilience
- May 29: The Michigan Citizen: Faith Leaders, USSF ask Obama for "robust" investigation of killing of Imam Abdullah
- May 28: The Center for Media Justice: "People's Freedom Caravans" building momentum en route to US Social Forum this summer in Detroit
- May 28: War Resisters League: Join the War Resisters League at the USSF!
- May 28: SWOPblogger: Pushback Network Ready for US Social Forum
- May 27: Workers World: US Social Forum meets in Detroit June 22-26
- May 27: The Weave: The US Social Forum Takes ACTION!
- May 27: International Development Exchange: Open Letter to the Philanthropic Community: Why We Support the US Social Forum Process
- May 27: The Adjunct Voice: Adjunct gathering and march to the US Social Forum in Detroit is building!
- May 26: AlterNet: It's Conference Time in Progressive America -- Will You Be Attending?
- May 26: Counter Currents: A Personal Invitation to the US Social Forum, by Adrienne Maree Brown
- May 25: Dayton Daily News: Protesters blast BP, corporate America
- May 24: Women and Fair Practices: The 2nd annual US Social Forum
- May 24: Toward Freedom: The Most Important Part of Going to the U.S. Social Forum: Coming Home by Cynthia Peters
- May 24: Tell Us Detroit: Thousands of People to Gather in Detroit to promote Democracy, Diversity and Justice
- May 23: Examiner.com: Radical singer/songwriters will perform for US Social Forum fundraiser in Ashland
- May 21: dclabor.org: Setting the Stage for USSF
- May 20: ZCommunications (ZNet): The most important part of going to the US Social Forum: coming home by Cynthia Peters
- May 20: Fusicology: Hip Hop Congress National Conference Follows USSF in Detroit
- May 20: ZCommunications (ZNet): Stop talking about it and be about it! June in Detroit: The Allied Media Conference and United States Social Forum. By Adele Nieves with Adrienne Maree Brown, Jenny Lee and Oya Amakisi
- May 19: DC Jobs with Justice: On the Road to Detroit, DC jwj Organizes Bus Delegation to the USSF
- May 19: CODEPINK: Women For Peace:Bury the Hummer! Support PINK Art at the US Social Forum in Detroit!
- May 19: Trans Talk: Participating in Queer People's Movement Assembly at the US Social Forum?
- May 19: Metro Times: On the move: As U.S. Social Forum draws near, here are some who are already on the way
- May 18: Think Geek Australia: There is no Justice for Aiyana by Adrienne Maree Brown
- May 15: Metro Times: Learn or get burned
- May 15: RootsWire: New Mexico PMA on Road to USSF in Detroit
- May 14: theGAvoice.com: MondoHomo takes over Atlanta
- May 13: Yes! Magazine: A personal invitation to the US Social Forum by Adrienne Maree Brown
- May 12: Jews sans frontieres:Jewish anti-zionist gathering in Detroit
- May 11: Civil Eats: Soul Food: Christian Orgs Connect Food And Faith
- May 7: Monthly Review Zine: The Mural Speaks, finale of PMA in Olympia
- May 7: The Guardian UK: Please, no more requiems for Detroit
- May 7: The Michigan Citizen: Detroit Draws US Social Forum
- May 7: doDetroit Blog: “Another World Is Possible” – Non-Partisan Social Forum To Host Gathering in Detroit
- May 6: Solidarity-US.org: Solidarity coverage of the USSF
- May 6: VenezuelanAnalysis.com: Building Cross-Continental Grassroots Resistance to US Militarization: USSF and the SOA Watch Encuentro in Venezuela
- May 5: Transformative Change.org: Transformative Track at USSF
- May 4: Medill:Social justice activists will bike to Detroit for U.S. Social Forum
- May 4: Tikkun Magazine: Invincible Hip-Hop - Slipping the Medicine In
- May 4: m-bike.org: mentions US Social Forum Bikers
- May 4: Social Worker Online: The rich bandits who feed on crisis
- May 3: People's World: Movements and struggles to converge at next month's U.S. Social Forum
- May 1: B.L.A.C. Magazine: (PDF) Trickle Up Transformation
- May 1: Global Hood News: Pastors Blast Plans to 'destroy' Detroit neighborhoods, schools and hospitals
- May 1: TellUsUSA.com: Ghost Waters: Matrix explores Detroit's hidden waterways
- May: Works in Progress: The People's Movement Assembly: Collaboration, networking, and solidarity
- May: In These Times Newsletter: Social Forum Announcement
- May/June: Against the Current: US Social Forum in Detroit
- April 29, 2010 SWU Words on USSF-Young People at the USSF
- April 28, 2010 War Times:Washington’s Wars and Occupations - Month in Review #60
- April 28, 2010 Metro Times: Stronger than tea
- April 26, 2010 The Rag Blog: US Social Forum: Another World is Possible
- April 25, 2010 St. Louis Activist Hub: The United States Social Forum
- April 24, 2010 The Michigan Citizen: Pastors organize for social forum
- April 23, 2010 People's World: Detroit Ministers Prepare for the USSF
- April 22, 2010 Alternet: Green Detroit: Why the city is ground zero for the sustainability movement
- April 21, 2010 Alternet: Green Party US National Convention set for Detroit during US Social Forum in June
- April 21, 2010 The Seminal: Green Party US National Convention set for Detroit during US Social Forum in June
- April 20, 2010 USLAW article: Peace Track at the USSF
- April 19, 2010 Free Speech Blog: Green Detroit: Why the city is ground zero for the sustainability movement
- April 18, 2010 PPEHRC March to Fulfill the Dream Blog: Selma, AL - Learning From Slavery and the Civil Rights
- April 17, 2010 Detroit News: Detroit downsizing plans, DMC sale riles protesters
- April 17, 2010 Imagine 2050: Solution City is Where it's at This June
- April 17, 2010 GRIID: Area folks gearing up for the US Social Forum
- April 16, 2010 Philadelphia Tribune piece by Bill Fletcher Jr.: Need to See You in Detroit for the USSF
- April, 16, 2010 Assafir: USSF in leading Left Newspaper in Lebanon
- April 16, 2010 Green Mob: Chasing the Vultures Away
- April 16, 2010 Media Research Hub: Amidst National Political Transformation, The United States Social Forum Brings New Hope for Change
- April 15, 2010: Feministing: Another World is Possible: The US Social Forum
- April 15, 2010 International Development Exchange: From Detroit to Dakar
- April 14, 2010 workday Minnesota: AFL-CIO planning significant role in U.S. Social Forum
- April 14, 2010 Southern Trans Issue Online Survey for USSF PMA
- April 13, 2010 Detroit News: Social Forum to spotlight Detroit: Global gathering seeks economic solutions
- April 13, 2010 Poor Peoples Economic Human Rights Campaign Blog, Mobile, AL - Witnessing the Invisible - March to Fulfill the Dream
- April 13, 2010 SocialistWorker.org Marching to Fulfill the Dream (first published on MatadorChange.com)
- April 11, 2010 Metro Detroit: coverage of March to Fulfill the Dream
- April 9, 2010 USSF and March to the Fulfill the Dream on Tavis Smiley Radio Program
- April 9, 2010 GRIID: Western Michigan Groups Making Connections for the USSF
- April 8, 2010 truthout: March to Fulfill the Dream by Ryan Van Lenning
- April 8, 2010 Social Forum and Social Struggle by Bill Fletcher, Jr. reposted on www.portside.org
- April 8, 2010 Ben and Jerry's Foundation Post
- April 8, 2010 Pictures from Delta to Detroit March
- April 7, 2010 Rural Organizing Project: Movement building from Albany to Detroit
- April 6, 2010 The Electronic Intifada: Bringing Palestine to the US Social Forum
- April 6, 2010 MatadorChange: Anti-poverty campaign kicks off with March to Fulfill the Dream by Ryan Van Lenning
- April 5, 2010 People's Tribune, US Social Forum Vs. Tea Party Movement by James Bish
- April 4, 2010 Michigan Citizen: Labor and the U.S. Social Forum in Detroit: A perspective
- April 2, 2010 Democracy Now! interviews Adrienne Maree Brown, National Coordinator of the U.S. Social Forum and board member of Allied Media Conference
- April 2, 2010 International Alliance of Inhabitants: March to Fulfill the Dream piece posted to FB 4/4/10
- April 2, 2010 Showcasing Women in Hip-Hop at SXSW Interview w/Invincible, mentions fundraising for USSF 2010]
- March 30, 2010 Freedom Road Socialist Organization, Building Independent & Sustainable Communities: Bringing Lessons From Nairobi to Detroit
- March 30, 2010 Freedom Road Socialist Organization:Copenhagen, Cochabamba, Detroit: Building a Climate Justice Movement
- March 30, 2010 Saint Joseph Valley Project: Q&A on Labor and the US Social Forum
- March 28,2010 SWOP Youth Organizers on Progressive Radio Network: youth organizing talk & USSF
- March 28, 2010 Building Movement Project: USSF 2010: Register and Get Involved
- March 28, 2010 Future Hope column: Political Strategy, Macro and Micro text of the article
- March 26, 2010 Richmond Daily Journal: Post-racial America *fb & tweeted, 3/31/10.
- March 26, 2010 We Are in the Middle of Transformational Change: It's Time the Debate Matches up with the Huge Challenges Ahead of Us Great piece on AlterNet front page
- March 25, 2010 SF Bay Indymedia: USSF mentioned at end of interview
- March 24, 2010 Huffington Post by Sarah van Gelder In America: How to Get Beyond Hate
- March 21, 2010 Michiagn Citizen: Creole Identity Church charts renewal with U.S. Social Forum
- March 25, 2010 NJToday.net:Post-Racial America
- March 23, 2010 On The Commons: Saving Our Public Assets
- March 21, 2010 Daily KOS Diary: The Left is Coming!
- March 19, 2010 Jobs with Justice Blog: Join us at the US Social Forum
- March 19, 2010 Farm to Table: Take Your Food Politics to Motown: US Social Forum 2010
- March 17, 2010 La Vida Locavore: Take Your Food Politics to Motown
- March 14, 2010 Michigan Citizen: Detroit is Getting Ready for USSF 2010: : Are you?
- March 11, 2010 Oakland Local blog: Bay Area People's Movement Assembly
- March 10, 2010 What's Up Magazine: To Detroit!: Show benefits El Paso activists headed to national Forum
- March 10, 2010 Icarus Project: Call to Action for USSF
- March 9, 2010 Yes! Magazine: United by Hard Times: Workers Organize Across Racial Lines Article reposted in Truthout
- March 7, 2010 Activists San Diego: US Social Forum II: Organizer Ruben Solis-of Texas-is coming to Speak with San Diego
- March 6, 2010 eTruth: Mobilizing in the heartland: Elkhart Indiana vows to send 250 people to Detroit
- March 5, 2010 Colorado Indymedia: PPEHRC march from NOLA press release
- March 4, 2010 Yes! Magazine: US Social Forum: Forging Alliances, a Movement of Movements
- March 4, 2010 Yes! Magazine: Generation Next: Breaking the Race Barrier
- March 4, 2010 Yes! Magazine: Our Future as a Multiracial Society Excellent piece about Detroit, the AMC, USSF and the need for broad movement building, wholeness.
- March 1, 2010 Organizing Upgrade: "Cindy Wiesner: On the 2010: Social Forum" Article Reposted on GGJ's site
- March/April 2010 Left Turn Magazine (PDF) The Road to Detroit: Youth Organizing and The US Social Forum
- March/April 2010 Left Turn Magazine: (PDF) For Youth By Youth
- March/April 2010 Left Turn Magazine: (PDF) Youth Outreach and Movement
- March/April, 2010 Healing Garden Journal: Building "Solution City:" the Potential for Green Innovation in Detroit
- March, 2010 Poor People’s Economic Human Rights Campaign: March to Fulfill the Dream: From the Delta to Detroit
- January/February, 2010 Left Turn Magazine: We are on the road to Detroit: Thoughts on the Past Present and Future of the United States Social Forum
- January/February, 2010 Left Turn Magazine: The Whole World is Watching
- January 28, 2010 MOTORCITYBLOG USSF Announcement
- January 28, 2010 Grand Rapids Institute for Information Democracy (GRIID): World Social Forum 10th Anniversary celebrated in Brazil. Now to Detroit!
- January 17, 2010 Common Dreams: "It is Easier to Build Monuments than to Make a Better World: Detroit, MLK Day, and the US Social Forum.
- January 19, 2010 USSF Anchor Centro Obrero's potluck flyer featured on VivirLatino.com
- January 13, 2010 Grand Rapids Institute for Information Democracy (GRIID): Detroit to host US Social Forum in June.
- January 10, 2010 Terraviva: WORLD SOCIAL FORUM: New and Old, US Groups Forge Broad Alliances
- January 4, 2010 CADTM: Alterglobalization or Barbarism? Some questions and comments on the WSF process Nice reflection piece on WSF]
- Michigan Citizen Preparing for Detroit USSF
- Announcements & Dispatches
Please post links to announcements leading up to USSF 2010: - newest at the top. Placement order: date, publication. URL, explanation/title of piece.
- June 24, 2010 USSF: Prison Justice People's Movement Assembly
- June 24, 2010 MDS WORKSHOP-MEETING at the US SOCIAL FORUM
- June 24, 2010 Venezuela Bolivariana: Building la revolution from community
- June 23, 2010 ALIADI At The US Social Forum
- June 22-27, 2010 The Green Party press release: annual national meeting coincides with USSF 2010
- June 22-26, 2010 MapT at the US Social Forum
- June 21, 2010 Road from Chicago to Detroit
- June 19-22, 2010 2010: US Assembly of Jews Confronting Israeli Apartheid and Racism
- June 16, 2010 NW MAG-Net goes to Detroit Info Session
- June 11, 2010 Washington Peace Center Outdoor Movie Night Fundraiser
- June 8, 2010 AFAAD at United States Social Forum!
- June 5, 2010 Minnesota People's Movement Assembly
- May 31, 2010 Shifting the Center of Gravity: Pushback Network attends the US Social Forum
- May 23, 2010 Patrick Dodd and Pete Herzog will perform together for a fundraiser to send delegates to the 2010 U.S. Social Forum in Detroit
- May 22, 2010 Join United for Peace & Justice at the US Social Forum
- May 22, 2010 Jobs with Justice at the US Social Forum
- May 15, 2010 Greater DC People's Assembly & LGBTQ Breakout
- May 14, 2010 B media collective: Getting our People to the Social Forum
- May 6, 2010 SWOP Youth Twisters Night
- May 2, 2010 Detroit Yes! US Social Forum & Allied Media Conference attendees need housing rentals June 2010
- May 3,2010 Austin USSF info meeting: Crimmigation
- May 1, 2010 Celebrate May Day and Resistance and Renewal Starts in Detroit
- April 30, 2010 Oakland Local: Common Counsel's Grassroots Exchange Fund(GXF)provides Travel Grants to attend USSF
- April 30, 2010 Chicago For the People Mayday Party
- April 30, 2010 Grand Rapids Activist Calendar: Chicago for the People May Day Party Invitation
- April 27, 2010 Join Codepink at the USSF 2010
- April 27, 2010 ETAN will be at USSF
- April 27, 2010 USSF and Allied Media Conference Media Tele-Briefing
- April 23, 2010 Motorcitytimes: The US Social Forum is coming to Detroit
- April 21, 2010 UFI Attending USSF in Detroit
- April 17, 2010 U.S. Concert Fundraiser by Social Forum 2010: Omaha Coordinating Committee
- April 14, 2010 CounterPulse Info session in San Francisco, CA
- April 6, 2010 Experience the Good Food Revolution, announcement for Heaven on Earth Agrarian Road Trip to the US Social Forum
- April 6, 2010 Bike Trip to Social Forum looking for participants
- April 3, 2010 Form a group for the PMA in Portland
- April 2, 2010 Carshare announcement for roundtrip from CA to Detroit
- April 2, 2010 Green Party Annual Meeting during USSF
- April 1, 2010 GAIA: Shut Down Detroit's Incinerator and Promote Green Jobs
- March 31, 2010 DC Metro Social Forum Meeting Announcement
- March 31, 2010 Info Session in Baltimore, MD
- March 28, 2010 US Social Forum Salsa Night Chicago, IL
- March 26 - March 28, 2010 MidBash (Midwest Co-op Gathering)
- March 26, 2010 USSF T-shirt design contest by Liberation Ink
- March 24, 2010 The Ruckus Society: What's Happening at USSF
- March 24, 2010 US Social Forum's Flickr Photostream
- March 24, 2010 Weekly Activist Alert, Washington Peace Center
- March 23, 2010 Call to participate in Tar Sands PMA, The Free Press
- March 22, 2010 Community Arts Network
- March 22, 2010 Spring Newsletter, The Icarus Project
- March 20, 2010 Hip-Hop Fundraiser San Antonio Current
- March 19, 2010 Invitation to join Union.org at USSF
- March 18, 2010 NAPAWF Bay Area Scholarship Fund to send members to USSF
- March 18, 2010 Weschester County planning meeting
- March 18,2010 Northwest Blog mention
- March 16, 2010 Transformative Justice Call-to-Action
- March 16, 2010 Washington Peace Center announcement
- March 15, 2010 March 15 Activist San Diego Monthly General Meeting
- March 15, 2010 DC Peoples Movement Assembly May 15
- March 15, 2010 Bilerico Project site blog
- March 13, 2010 ACE EJ group Boston planning info annoucement
- March 12, 2010 Ryan Van Lenning Oakland Local PMA annoucement
- March 11, 2010 CISPES & LASC call to action website post
- March 9, 2010 Amherst info session & organizing from Food for Thought Books
- March 9, 2010 Phone Info Session repost by La Nueva Raza Blog
- March 9, 2010 Gaper's Block event feed in Chicago now covering USSF events in that region
- March 9, 2010 Washing Peace Center event mention
- March 8, 2010 PDF download of USSF Schedule at a Glance Posted by CMJ
- March 7, 2010 San Diego call for a PMA - blog post
- March 6, 2010 Build the Wheel is adlisting ussf on their site and sharing resources
- March 5,2010 OPN News atlanta info session post
- March 4, 2010 Bay Area Worker Coops call to action
- March 3, 2010 World Social Forum has USSF phone info sessions on their calendar
- March, 2010: Alternate ROOTS Newsletter, March 2010:
- March 3, 2010 Phone Info sessions blog mention, Ryan Van Lenning
- March, 2010 Boston So-just Meetup.com post
- March, 2010 Foodfirst.org has PMA's on their regular calendar
- March, 2010 Changents.com Green-Guerillas call to USSF action
- March, 2010 Citizen's assemblies featuring USSF videos
- March, 2010 Funder Delegation to USSF Call to Action Posted by Funders Network on Trade & Globalization
- March, 2010 ZNET post about the USSF
Please post links to video leading up to USSF 2010: - newest at the top. Placement order: date, URL, name/explanation/title of piece.
Very true! Makes a change to see seomone spell it out like that. :)
- May 31, 2010: US Social Forum 30 Sec Spot
- May 31, 2010: May Day in Detroit - Centro Obrero Hopes for the US Social Forum
- May 28, 2010: Talib Kweli: Detroit is the Place to be in June
- May 27, 2010: Youth Radio Live: Rubén Solís Presents: The Dawning of the US Social Forum
- May 26, 2010: Media Justice DreamZ USSF PMA
- May 25, 2010: US Social Forum 30-second TV spot
- May 22, 2010: Jessica Care Moore: The US Social Forum is coming to Detroit!
- May 20, 2010: Youth Radio LIVE: Rubén Solís Speaks about the People's Movement Assembly for the US Social Forum 2010
- May 19, 2010: Vimeo: USSF 2007 Inspired History In Chicago - How Will USSF 2010 Inspire You?
- May 16, 2010: Las soluciones deben venir de nosotros: Rocio del Centro Obrero de Detroit Mayo 1
- May 1, 2010: Center Stage, TV 38: Minsu Longiaru (ROC) and Julio Guerrero (Centro Obrero) talk about the forum
- *reposted at API network'
- *reposted at DailyMotion.com
Please post links to radio/audio leading up to USSF 2010: - newest at the top. Placement order: date, URL, name/explanation/title of piece.
- June 25: Tavis Smiley: Marian Kramer talks about U.S. Social Forum & March to Fulfill the Dream
- June 17, 2010 KPFA 94.1 Pacifica Radio: Tammy Bang Luu on API community involvement at USSF 2010 in Detroit
- June 15, 2010 WDET Detroit Public Radio The Craig Fahle Show on WDET: Minsu Longiaru (Restaurant Opporunities Center) and Marian Kramer (Michigan Welfare Rights) on the US Social Forum
- June 15, 2010 KBOO Community Radio in Portland, OR: Matthew Cross on the US Social Forum
- June 14, 2010 KBOO Community Radio in Portland, OR: Will Copeland on the US Social Forum
- June 13, 2010 Glenn Beck Show
- June 11, 2010 Houston Indymedia Radio Show KPFT 90.1 fm
- June 11, 2010 Radio Baladi: Dawud Walid and others on the US Social Forum, Arab-Black relations, the flotilla tragedy and the resent resignation of Helen Thomas
- June 08, 2010 US Social Forum Special Edition: Maureen Taylor & Oya Amakisi on culture & resistance in Motown at the US Social Forum
edit this section
- Follow the Action
- Many Roads Lead to Detroit:
The US Social Forum Writers Network's special correspondents will help keep our writers and the general public informed about all the exciting ways people are preparing the "road to Detroit." This space will provide updates from people around the country who are biking, walking, marching, and caravaning to Detroit as well as those who are paving the way to Detroit through outreach to the diverse groups of people who need to be part of the conversation about the new country and world we are working to build. To become a correspondent, email us at writers@ussf2010: .org .
ARCHIVE: June 13, 2007 See Yes! Magazine's Sarah van Gelder's blog from the 2007 People's Freedom Caravan to Atlanta
- The Red Road to Detroit: Native People Bring their Voices to the USSF
scroll down to the end
Here are stories from the people responsible for helping make the USSF in Detroit possible. Their stories can help people better understand and appreciate the process, and we hope they'll inspire more folks to join us in Detroit this June!
We invite you to share your testimonials about your USSF Atlanta 2007 experience. Help us tell others what the Social Forum is about as we kick-off for USSF Detroit 2010!
Need wiki help?
Some ideas about your experience may include:
- How did you get there?
- What social movement organization or activists did you travel with?
- What were you most interested in learning about or doing at USSF Atlanta?
- What what your favorite session or panel?
- What was it like to participate in the Opening March?
- What information did you share with others when you returned home?
- How did USSF Atlanta change the organizing work you do in your grassroots group or organization?
- The Children's Social Forum was my main reason for going (and bringing my 6-year-old daughter) to the 2007 US Social Forum.
Last summer, we had done a tour of northeast anarchist and radical bookfairs. I had co-presented a workshop called “Don’t Leave Your Friends Behind” about the need for the anarchist community to support the parents and children in its midst. The workshops were generally well-received by a predominantly childless audience, some of whom already helped the parents and children in their groups, some of whom had never thought about the issue. Siu Loong had participated in the various childcare and kids’ programs at each bookfair and had always had a good time, although I noticed that, for the most part, the kids’ activities had little to do with the issues at the adult workshops.
For me, the Children’s Social Forum was an opportunity to see how the broader social justice movement was incorporating the next generation. This wasn’t just childcare—a room set off to the side where well-intentioned volunteers and kids were isolated from the goings-on of the larger group. No, this promised to be a forum for kids to explore the issues that we grown-ups were talking about.
I wrote a piece about our experience at the Children's Social Forum here:
and am hoping that next year's USSF in Detroit will also have children's programming and inclusion.
Victoria Law, NYC
“Mi nombre es Flor Crisóstomo, Soy indígena Zapoteca de Oaxaca. Mi situación es la movilidad constante dentro de US debido a la persecución por parte leyes migratorias rotas. Es importante que organizadores de las diversas comunidades hagan acto de presencia en el foro que se llevara a cabo en Detroit para poder conocernos y trabajemos en buscar soluciones para hacer un mundo justo que sabemos es posible.”
“My name is Flor Crisóstomo. I’m Zapoteca from Oaxaca, Mexico. My situation is one of millions where I must constantly be moving within the US because of government persecution under broken immigration laws. It’s important to me that all organizers come together in Detroit so that we may know each other and find collective solutions toward the just world we know is possible.”
- USSF in Atlanta in 2007
Vermont Workers Center made a video about the 2007 USSF, highlighting some of their members' experiences there:
I wrote an extensive blog reflection on my experience here:
My main memory is being hit by a pie in the face because I wasn't
"radical enough." It was not a nice experience.
What a Summer~USSF 2007
I was fortunate enough to have friends living in Georgia and arrive with around nine other people to attend the forum together. I remember being overwhelmed by the amount of workshops and the task of getting to all of them in a timely manner. The opening march was very hot, and it was nice to have people handing out water. The puppets were fabulous! i was shocked to learn that the park which had many of the venders and tents was just days before a place were houseless people normally slept. These folks were arrested and taken to jail in preparation for the forum! Instead of being invited to participate in the event, they were criminalized by the very people who days later would listen to workshops and panels focused on this very struggle! The forum needs to be more accessible and welcome to the people!!
My favorite workshops were part of the gender/sexuality track. Folks from Southerners on New Ground (S.O.N.G.), Sista II Sista, INCITE!, and FIERCE! were on point, their workshops were packed, and there was a real sense of movement in those spaces. Several hundred people wanted to further our discussions around moving beyond the non-profit industrial complex.
Another concern I have is the lack of time we had to meet regionally. We were given such little time for this, that we barely could introduce ourselves before the time was up. I think more structured time needs to be given to regional organizing/networking. When you are in workshops and then the plenaries all day, it's difficult to eat, sleep, and meet outside of that in one day. Also, I think it would be worthwhile to have the opening plenary focus solely on work in Detroit so attendees know what's happening locally.
The way that I shared what went on at the forum was recording workshops, editing them, and giving them away as CD's.
Thanks to all the organizers, past and present!
- Oakland, CA