The US Social Forum National Planning Committee and other leaders of grassroots organizations and networks met in Philadelphia to discuss the road to the next US Social Forum. Participants in the meeting made the following recommendations to the USSF National Planning Committee:
- Recognizing that we are moving towards building a national convergence of a US Social Forum of a new type, and that this might take the form of a large-scale convergence in a single city or a decentralized forum held simultaneously in multiple cities, these consensus recommendations will be brought to the NPC for a formal decision.
- • PMAs or other local assemblies will be used to build towards and follow-up national USSF convergence.
- • We will organize some sort of national USSF event/activity/convergence in 2014.
- • Date of a national USSF convergence will be no later than 2015
To help build towards the next US Social Forum, we invite those in solidarity with the World Social Forum to get involved.
Background on the US and World Social Forums--History and Evolution of Thinking about Transformative Global Movement Building
- NOTE: ADD DOCUMENT ON The US Social Forum's Intentionality: Privileging leadership by low-income people, people of color, and those most excluded and marginalized by global capitalism.
- World Social Forum Cartography of the Future Thematic Discussion:--This report emerges from ongoing conversations in the WSF that seek to build upon the lessons from the WSF and other social movement convergences over the past decade. It considers the current political moment of crisis and how the WSF process can contribute to building the planetary citizenship needed for transforming the global economic and political order. As the document states, "We are in a planetary dispute for hegemony and our initiative has to be the contribution to create irreversible citizenship movements, with projects and ideas endowed with a mobilizing strength."
- Report of the World Social Forum Future of the WSF Working Group: This document reflects the current state of discussion and dialogue about how to address ongoing tensions in the WSF process over representation, leadership, and building a radically democratic and responsive movement for global transformation.
- Lessons from the US and World Social Forum Process: This analysis compares the practices of the US and European Social Forums to identify lessons about building radically democratic and inclusive spaces of movement-building.
Key Documents of the USSF process USSF Political Unity
Ideas for Discussion